J. R. Powell
R. Powell joined Hoffman DiMuzio on July 1, 2015 after a career as one of the most respected and longest tenured municipal court judges in the State of New Jersey. His focus is municipal court practice.
R. and his wife, Dianne have been married for over thirty years with 2 daughters and three grandchildren. After serving in the US Army and receiving an Honorable Discharge, J.R. graduated from Glassboro State College and went on to earn his Juris Doctor Degree from Rutgers University. He became a municipal court judge in 1986 and served in 16 different municipalities in southern New Jersey.
In 1999, J. R. Powell was appointed by Chief Justice Poritz of the N.J. Supreme Court as Presiding Judge of the Municipal Courts and served for three years as the Presiding Municipal Court Judge for Gloucester, Salem and Cumberland counties.
- President of the Gloucester County Judges Association
- Municipal Court Judge for the municipalities of Boroughs of Glassboro, Pitman, Clayton, Townships of Elk, Greenwich, Harrison, South Harrison, Deptford, Mantua, and Gloucester City
- Appointed first Presiding Judge of the Municipal Courts in New Jersey
- Adjunct Professor at Rowan University and Widener University
Professional & Community Involvement
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Gloucester County Bar Association
- Member, American Judges Association
- Past Chairman, Annual Judicial Conference for Municipal Court Judges in New Jersey
- Past President, Gloucester County Judges Association
- Faculty Member, National Judicial College
- Past Member, District IV Ethics Committee
Awards & Recognition
- Who's Who in American Law 1994 to present
- Outstanding Young Man of America-1987
- 2007 NJ Delegate to the NHTSA Conference on Aggressive Driving
- 1992 Gloucester County Delegate to the NJ Rules of Evidence Committee
Articles & Presentations
- Author, Benchbook for Municipal Court Judges in New Jersey
- Author - Delivery of Oral Opinions, Court Review, Journal of American Judges Assoc., Vol.27, Fall, 1990.
- Municipal Court
- New Jersey
- Glassboro State College, Glassboro, NJ 1974-1976
B.A. Political Science, Graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2 years
- Rutgers School of Law (Camden)
Juris Doctor: May 1979