Theft Attorneys & Shoplifting Lawyers In New Jersey
In New Jersey, a conviction for Theft or Shoplifting can carry with it very serious penalties including potential prison time. Both Theft and Shoplifting offenses involve the intentional taking of property with the purpose to permanently deprive the rightful owner of the property.
Degrees Of Theft Charges In New Jersey
Depending on various factors that are unique to the facts of a particular case, Theft and Shoplifting offenses can be charged as either a Second, Third, or Fourth Degree Crime, or alternatively, as a Disorderly Persons Offense. The degree of crime charged for a Theft or Shoplifting offense is typically dependent on the value of the property that was stolen as shown below:
- Theft or Shoplifting constitutes a crime of the Second Degree if the value of the item(s) stolen exceeds $75,000.00
- Theft or Shoplifting constitutes a crime of the Third Degree if the value of the item(s) stolen exceeds $500.00 but is less than $75,000.00
- Theft or Shoplifting constitutes a crime of the Fourth Degree if the value of the item(s) stolen exceeds $200.00 but is less than $500.00
- Theft or Shoplifting constitutes a Disorderly Persons Offense if the value of the item(s) stolen is less than $200.00
Shoplifting Penalties In New Jersey
The penalties for criminal offenses in New Jersey based on the degree of the offense are outlined below:
Felony Theft Charges In NJ (Indictable Offenses):
- First Degree Crime: 10 to 20 years in prison and up to a $200,000 fine
- Second Degree Crime: 5 to 10 years in prison and up to a $150,000 fine
- Third Degree Crime: 3 to 5 years in prison and up to a $15,000 fine
- Fourth Degree Crime: up to 18 months in prison and up to a $10,000 fine
Misdemeanor Theft Charges In NJ (Disorderly Persons Offenses):
- Disorderly Persons Offense: up to 6 months in county jail and up to a $1000 fine
- Petty Disorderly Persons Offense: up to 30 days in county jail and up to a $500 fine
Hiring A Lawyer For Theft Charges
Given the serious potential penalties outlined above for Theft and Shoplifting cases, it is very important that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney who can thoroughly examine the unique facts and circumstances of your case and present any legal defenses to the charges on your behalf.
The criminal defense attorneys at Hoffman DiMuzio have the knowledge and experience to defend those charged with the most serious of crimes, including Theft and Shoplifting offenses. Depending on the facts of your particular case, we may be able to work toward having your charges dismissed by convincing the prosecutor that he or she can not prove the case against you beyond a reasonable doubt.
Speak to a shoplifting lawyer today. Call 856.238.5183
We’ll schedule your consultation and meet at the office nearest you.
Additionally, even in those cases where the prosecution’s proofs are so strong that it would not be in a client’s best interest to take his or her case to trial and risk facing the maximum punishment prescribed by law, the experienced criminal defense attorneys at Hoffman DiMuzio are frequently successful at getting the charges reduced while also helping clients avoid prison time.
Six Convenient NJ & Philadelphia Law Office Locations
Meeting with a lawyer experienced in theft and shoplifting here in South Jersey is easy with our six convenient locations. We will schedule a consultation at the office location that is nearest you.
To set up a consultation, simply fill out the quick contact form below and a representative will reach out to you shortly.
Speak To An Attorney About A Theft Or Shoplifting Case
Call the firm directly at 856.637.3000.
Disclaimer: please note this page was written to provide information about the law and is not legal advice. Click here to read more about our disclaimer and our fees and services.